Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy
Topic Author

Mayor of Amsterdam

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:36 pm

The current mayor of Amsterdam, Eberhard van der Laan, is much loved in the city and I think rightfully so. He has been mayor for the last seven years. In January of this year, he was diagnosed with lung cancer, but he elected to remain in office.

Today his doctors said no other options are open, so sadly he resigned and will spend his remaining time with his family.

He is a special, sweet man, who does the right things. He will be missed.

https://nltimes.nl/2017/05/29/amsterdam ... -ill-mayor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eberhard_van_der_Laan

A letter in Dutch.

De brief van Van der Laan:

Lieve Amsterdammers,

In januari schreef ik u dat ik slecht nieuws had gekregen van mijn artsen, maar dat ik nog een poosje uw burgemeester hoopte te blijven. De afgelopen acht maanden heb ik dat met veel plezier gedaan. Uw steun heeft mij daarbij enorm geholpen.

Aan dit poosje komt nu een einde. Vandaag kreeg ik van mijn artsen het bericht dat zij mij niet verder kunnen behandelen.

Ik heb mij bij commissaris van de koning Remkes ziekgemeld. Mijn taken zullen voorlopig worden overgenomen door loco-burgemeester Kajsa Ollongren.

Het was een groot voorrecht burgemeester te zijn van de mooiste en liefste stad van de wereld. Ik dank u voor het in mij gestelde vertrouwen, voor uw betrokkenheid en voor alle steun en tegenspraak die ik de afgelopen zeven jaren van u heb gekregen.

Zorg goed voor onze stad en voor elkaar.

Vaarwel,

Eberhard van der Laan

Take care of our city and for each other.

notaxonrotax

Re: Mayor of Amsterdam

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Sad to read.

Thanks for the heads up!

No Tax On Rotax

Dutchy
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Quite a response of the public. They created a FB event to give him a standing ovation in front of the residence of the mayors of Amsterdam: https://www.facebook.com/events/4870612 ... null%22%7D

Over 1.100 people indicated that they will show up for this.

And all of this for a civil servant, mayor's in the Netherlands aren't elected but appointed. Quite special I think.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:25 am

Impressive, 10-minute applause and afterwards the much beloved: "Aan de Amsterdamse grachten"

http://www.welingelichtekringen.nl/poli ... -laan.html

Dutchy
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:08 am

Amsterdam mayor Eberhard van der Laan has died

Amsterdam mayor Eberhard van der Laan has died from lung cancer at the age of 62. Van der Laan, who first took up the post in 2010, stepped down from formal duties last month after doctors said there was no more that could be done for him. Van der Laan went public about his lung cancer diagnosis in January, saying the cancer had spread and that there is ‘little reason for optimism’. ‘I will continue to do my job… in a way which is right. I wish to remain your mayor for a little longer,’ he said at the time. In a second letter in September the mayor said the ‘little longer’ was now over. ‘I have ‘been your mayor with great pleasure for the past eight months. Your support has helped me enormously,’ he said. Hundreds of people packed into the Herengracht outside the mayor’s official residence in an emotional show of support for the mayor after he announced that he was stepping down. In 2013, Van der Laan, a smoker, was treated for prostate cancer. Last year, Van der Laan was renamed for a second, six-year term as Amsterdam mayor. A lawyer by profession and a Labour party supporter, he leaves his wife Femke and five children. This summer Van der Laan was a guest on the talk show Zomergasten, in which he said he hoped his legacy would be that Amsterdam remained ‘een lieve stad’ – a kind Amsterdam. Last year, shortly after the Brexit vote, Van der Laan held a meeting at the city hall for British residents of the city, pledging to do all he could for them.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2 ... -has-died/

The inevitable has happened, this wonderful, passionate, empathetically man has traded live for death. The good die way too young.

KLDC10

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:
The inevitable has happened, this wonderful, passionate, empathetically man has traded live for death. The good die way too young.

I missed this thread when you first posted it, but it seems like things have moved very quickly. It seems that he was a much-loved and respected individual. My condolences.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:50 am

This says it all about the man. "jij had het lef om lief te zijn" you had the courage to be sweet / be nice (it lost something in the translation).

And I think that is very true, and unfortunately quite exceptional in public service. We need more people like that in public office.

notaxonrotax

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:55 am

Very sad, indeed.

No Tax On Rotax

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Amsterdam will have a new mayor: Femke Halsema.

Good luck to her.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femke_Halsema

L410Turbolet

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:37 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Good luck to her.

Given her party affiliation, I'd say good luck to Amsterdam (and AMS).

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:40 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Good luck to her.

Given her party affiliation, I'd say good luck to Amsterdam (and AMS).

A mayor in the Netherlands doesn't really have political influence, it has two main functions:
- represent the city for its citizens and outside
- law and order

These are subjects that are neither left or right. But given this, GroenLinks does have some nice ideas and are one of the parties running the city.