Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Question about potential ORD-KHI trip via DUB?

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 pm

I'm considering a trip back to KHI from ORD for a short period of winter but I don't like the long lines at ORD for immigration, so I want to go via DUB (Dublin) to take advantage of their US preclearance program.

The problem with going via DUB is that Google is not offering me a same ticket fare that gets me back to ORD via DUB. I'm aware there is no flight from KHI to DUB, so I'd split my layover up in ideally either AUH or DOH.

Can someone refer me to a fare for ORD-KHI-DUB-ORD this winter?

Information:

I'd travel in Y
I want the ticket under $1500, same ticket
My preferred airlines are EY, QR, AA and Aer Lingus.

Thanks!

BENAir01

Re: Question about potential ORD-KHI trip via DUB?

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Any specific dates?
Anyways, I looked on google flights and am seeing $1300 fares on AA with this routing and dates: Jan 7 EY ORD-AUH-KHI (arrive the 8th), Jan 14 EY KHI-AUH-DUB (arrives early morning the 15th), Jan 15 AA DUB-PHL-ORD.
https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#sea ... ;so=p;eo=e

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:18 am

BENAir01 wrote:
Any specific dates?
Anyways, I looked on google flights and am seeing $1300 fares on AA with this routing and dates: Jan 7 EY ORD-AUH-KHI (arrive the 8th), Jan 14 EY KHI-AUH-DUB (arrives early morning the 15th), Jan 15 AA DUB-PHL-ORD.
https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#sea ... ;so=p;eo=e

Does AA use preclearance in DUB? If so this is perfect! Thank you! :D

KLMatSJC

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:47 am

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
I'm considering a trip back to KHI from ORD for a short period of winter but I don't like the long lines at ORD for immigration, so I want to go via DUB (Dublin) to take advantage of their US preclearance program.

The problem with going via DUB is that Google is not offering me a same ticket fare that gets me back to ORD via DUB. I'm aware there is no flight from KHI to DUB, so I'd split my layover up in ideally either AUH or DOH.

Information:

I'd travel in Y

Thanks!

Do you know that you can actually do pre-clearance in AUH if you are flying EY? It isn't the most efficient place, but it would probably a a lot cheaper than returning via DUB.

B747forever

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:02 am

As KLMatSJC says, you have preclearance at AUH. So I dont see the point of flying KHI-AUH-DUB-ORD when you just can fly via AUH directly to ORD.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:46 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:

Information:

I'd travel in Y

Thanks!

Do you know that you can actually do pre-clearance in AUH if you are flying EY? It isn't the most efficient place, but it would probably a a lot cheaper than returning via DUB.

I'm aware but I hear DUB is a more efficient place to get precleared.

B747forever

Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:23 pm

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:

Information:

I'd travel in Y

Thanks!

However efficient DUB might be, you will lose a lot more time by adding that extra segment between AUH-DUB.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:11 pm

B747forever wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:

However efficient DUB might be, you will lose a lot more time by adding that extra segment between AUH-DUB.

Ah I see. I've heard that EY has kind of gone bad since the last time we travelled them in 2011 - my relative in LAS flew LAS-LAX-AUH-KHI and hated the LAX-AUH leg and now prefers to avoid EY.

So I will probably do either QR via DOH or AA/EY via DUB if I do visit KHI again this winter. Thanks for the advice though guys!

KLMatSJC

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:38 pm

B747forever wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:

At random dates, it was almost double the price to go through DUB. However, I do agree that EY has declined in the past few years.

FriscoHeavy

Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:26 pm

You're really willing to pay that much more to go through DUB and do pre-clearance? Why not just get Global Entry? Doing that will save you a ton of time when you get back to ORD or any US Airport.

I cleared in DUB about 2 weeks ago. Yes, it was certainly nice to do, but certainly wouldn't go out of my way to do it, especially since we have Global Entry.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:22 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
You're really willing to pay that much more to go through DUB and do pre-clearance? Why not just get Global Entry? Doing that will save you a ton of time when you get back to ORD or any US Airport.

I cleared in DUB about 2 weeks ago. Yes, it was certainly nice to do, but certainly wouldn't go out of my way to do it, especially since we have Global Entry.

Well I'm not a frequent traveler, otherwise I would get Global Entry.

LH658

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:15 am

Trying book multi city on Google flights.