Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

corocks
Topic Author

Is Etihad Airways really that bad?

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:24 pm

Is Etihad really that bad? I have never flown them and the reviews online are horrible! I know people who right reviews are generally just there to complain, but this is pretty bad. Only a 3.5 out of 10 rating on most of the websites I have seen. Looking at flying them in a few months and would love to hear opinions as I trust this site more than a review site.

Thanks!

n729pa

Re: Is Etihad Airways really that bad?

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:37 pm

Now this is interesting. A friend of mine recently flew with EY LHR AUH DEL AUH LHR and came back last weekend and they've said never again. They would sooner go AI even than have EY. Their out bound flight I said perhaps you've just been unlucky and had a crew that didn't work well it does happen. But coming back more of the same. Inattentive service poor food rude attendants. And I felt a bit guilty having suggested them over their usual 9W flights. They liked the A380 but will never flew Etihad again. As they said they'd sooner Air India at least you expect it and pay a lower fare.

It's put me off planning a trip on them to Abu Dhabi now a bit too to be honest. But the first time I flew Emirates I found this kind of service too 2 out 3 flights were poor with stroppy flight attendants with a superior attitude. 4 years later I had to fly EK LHR DXB in March and this time had a very pleasant flight. It was for this reason I said to my friend after the first flight it's a one off you'll have a better flight coming back. But it wasn't to be.

I'd still try them as I'm inclined to try something new but I'm cautious now after this. So it will be interesting to see what others experiences are like.

jnev3289

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:02 am

I flew IAD-AUH-IAD on EY and it was out of this world. My parents had an amazing time in J and my mom said she's never slept as well on a plane in her life (1.5 million miler on AA). I wouldn't hesitate to book them again at all. Great IFE, good food, and a nice Y amenity kit.

KLMatSJC

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:51 am

EY has declined significantly in the last few years. Their hard and soft products both can't compete with EK, QR, and TK. I flew them last year, AUH-SFO, and it had to be one of the worst flights I have ever been on. Only 1.5 full meal services on a 15+ hour flight was not too great, and the quality wasn't there compared to some of my previous EY flights.

The combination T1/T3 at AUH is a dump. I can't believe that T3 is as new as it is. It can't compare to airports like DXB or DOH or even anything in Europe or most of Asia for that matter. That new terminal can't come fast enough, and they need it to be spectacular. I guess it's pretty nice that they got preclearance, but that was an "experience" in itself.

debonair

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:24 am

Hi, you will find a recent TR here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1377293

Seems to be either black or white, I had a good time onboard - my friends on the other hand were really disappointed. I think, as posted before, it depends on which a/c you are flying and how long your transfer at AUH will be.

If you have some money left, you can bid for an upgrade: http://www.etihad.com/en/before-you-fly ... -yourself/

FlyingHollander

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:58 am

I flew DUS-AUH-BKK and back in Y last July. It was one of the better long haul experiences I've had. Definitely better than any of my Trans Atlantic experiences on the US3. Seats were fine, IFE good and meals great. Transitting in AUH was fine, it was very busy though and we had to use stairs 3/4 times.

hoons90

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:15 pm

I have flown both EY and EK. EK is by far the better of the two, pretty much in every aspect.

PatrickZ80

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:03 pm

The only good thing about Etihad is that they're generally quite cheap, but don't expect too high service.

dz09

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:14 pm

i flew jfk - auh recently with Etihad and i can honestly say that i was not impressed. jfk-uah was in economy and it was painful. the return was in business and again i was not impressed at all. the service was inexistant. they served us lunch and they re-appeared 12 hours later with a snack. the pods were so tight and i felt claustrophobic in them. i took a flight aweek later with UA from ewr to pvg and there was no comparison. say what want about united, but their business class is far superior to that of Etihad.

PerfectGriffin

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:50 pm

I fly EY often because I visit the UAE 2-3 times a year. On medium haul flights to Europe, I've never had a bad flight. On the flagship A380 routes like LHR and CDG, the product and service (both hard and soft) are excellent. On other routes like BRU or FRA, they are still pleasant but obviously the plane and IFE are not as good as the A380. But on the only long haul flight (and my most recent) I've had with them (AUH-ORD) they were bad.. Poor quality and little food and below average service.

I would recommend them if flying between Europe and Australia but otherwise, try QR and EK.