Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

skyguy87
Topic Author

A&P Working For Major Airline

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:22 am

Hey Guys. Hope everyone is well. My question relates to working with a major airline. I've been an A&P for about 3.5 years now with 3 years of heavy engine assembly and overhaul experience. I've decided to break into the airline industry as that was my original goal and reason I decided to go to A&P school. I know that United will hire an A&P with assembly and overhaul experience for SFO and some of their other hard to staff bases, but what about a company like Delta. I've always wanted to work for Delta, but every application I have submitted; I have gotten nothing back. I would love to work in LAX since I have family there, but I'm not sure what their experience requirements are (they don't post it on there job postings). Is LAX a hard base to get into? Does anyone have some advice to give me? Any dealt mechanics in these bases? I'd hate to start at the regional level at this point, but I will If I have too. I'm open to paying my dues, I just want to make sure I am making the right decision and not wasting anymore time. I know American also spells out that they want 24 months exp. Thanks for your reply's

strfyr51

Re: A&P Working For Major Airline

Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:14 am

Can't speak to you about Delta, my nephew works for them and he started as a contractor at Atlanta. I wouldn't do that .
I started with United as a Line mechanic and I've never looked back and now I'm retired from United. Put out your resumes and take your chances. American gave me the
"Ring around the Rosie" and wound up offering me a job the day I got off of probation at United. Got kind of crappy when I turned them down too.
They must have forgotten they turned me down first..

skyguy87
Topic Author

Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:59 pm

I have heard about the contracting thing at ATL, but wasnt sure if that was a smart move. I always wondered how long you had to work for the contractor before Delta picked u up. I heard they laid off a bunch of contractors not long ago. I'll do whatever I have to do if that gets my foot in the door. What base did you work for United at?

stratosphere

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:10 pm

If Delta is your goal you might want to apply to them for a station that is hard to fill like LGA or JFK. They have job openings right now on their website for JFK. I have seen them hire right out of A@P school to LGA. Now LAX I don't know about Delta but for the 2 airlines I have worked for LAX was considered a junior station. If you are willing to move for a little bit you could get hired by Delta into one of the east cost stations then maybe then can get to LAX with them...Good Luck

DlTechops

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Just keep applying! LAX is a hard to fill station along with most of the big citys on the west coast so if you really want to get in keep applying.. if you can swing it you may find it easier to get your foot in the door at JFK or LGA but youll have to work there 2 years before your allowed to transfer. you might look into the idea of being a contractor but I dont know if we have any out in LAX. maybe look for ASM (aircraft support mechanic) jobs as well thats a good way to get your foot in and youll be able to see and apply for internal jobs only. best of luck to ya

Dalmd88

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:18 am

Most new hires at DL come in through the contractor route or the ASM position. Both ways are good filters. Consider it a full time interview. Now outstations are different. AMT's get direct hired all the time for a lot of outstations. LAX is one that very few DL mechanics transfer into. Same with the other expensive cities that others have mentioned. You get the same pay in LAX or LGA as ATL.

Just keep applying for any city you would be willing to live in for a couple of years. As for work experience, all types get hired. Military, small airline, straight out of school I've seen it all. Engine assembly experience is OK also. Just remember you have about a 0.01% of starting there. I've been with DL for 20 years and I'm near the bottom of engine assembly.

strfyr51

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:39 am

skyguy87 wrote:
I have heard about the contracting thing at ATL, but wasnt sure if that was a smart move. I always wondered how long you had to work for the contractor before Delta picked u up. I heard they laid off a bunch of contractors not long ago. I'll do whatever I have to do if that gets my foot in the door. What base did you work for United at?

Started at SFO as a line mechanic working the terminal, later I became a Terminal Line maintenance foreman then a line maintenance Controller, I Retired ftom WHQ In Chicago now I'm back home in California..

sgtusmc96

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:43 pm

I am currently a Lead Technician for Delta. Currently when we are hiring we sift through 200-300 Resumes to fill 3-15 spots. So it is difficult to get in unless you have 7-10 years experience. The contractor route or ASM route is what I highly recommend to newer A&P mechanics. It gets your foot in the door and even though there is a 12 month residency requirement that is rarely held up. I regularly see techs higher end as ASM then with in. 3-6 months transfer to a A&P position. Just my two cents but highly recommend that route.

skyguy87
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:30 pm

Thanks for your replies. To answer, I'm okay with never being in an engine assembly shop again lol. I will if I have to, but it's not one of my first choices. As far as the ASM route and contractor, I guess I will keep looking on the Delta website for a position to open up

skyguy87
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:48 am

Do you guys think there would be any value added if I worked for a regional for a year? Is a years worth of aircraft experience worth it if I go down the ASM route? Im ready to do whatever I need to do.

Lpbri

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:22 am

Don't bother with AA. They aren't hiring.

Dalmd88

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:28 am

The best part of the ASM route with Delta is hire date. Take two mechanics, one gets hired as an ASM with a 1Feb18 hire date. Another mechanic get hired at a regional or even as a Delta contractor with a 1 Feb 18 hire date. On Aug 1 of 2019 they both get AMT positions at Delta. The one that was the ASM still has a 1 Feb 18 hire date as a seniority date while the other one has a 1 Aug 19 seniority date. a few years later this might make a huge difference. It could mean shift preference, bidding on job openings, who gets furloughed. The sooner you get a hire date the better. When offered a job start as soon as possible. a week can make all the difference years down the road.

strfyr51

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:06 am

skyguy87 wrote:
Do you guys think there would be any value added if I worked for a regional for a year? Is a years worth of aircraft experience worth it if I go down the ASM route? Im ready to do whatever I need to do.

experience is ALWAYS valuable. You would be surprised how much value can be had in troubleshooting, No matter what the airplane model. I started troubleshooting the P3. then worked on the CV-580, Then the Dehavilland DHC-7 and the Fairchild Metro., Every one of those airplanes gave me a leg up when I got to United, The Metro had the TPE-331, which was the APU for the B767,the PT6-50 in the DHC7 was the basis for the APU of the B747-422 I never worked on them in the shop as I was always a line mechanic but it gave me a leg up on troubleshooting them as I had seen them before though unfotunately? I was the one they called every time my foreman seemed to have an APU problem that was chronic.. even with the B747's and DC10-s But! from Day 1 I worked the Line and got be where the action was. It wasn't always easy but vit was damn sure interesting! (oh, I was also a P3 Flight engineer and I was high power run qualified after 6 weeks at United. B737-222-291. B727 022,222A, DC10-10 ,DC8-71, B747-122,222a and -422 I was a foreman by the time we got the B757 and the B767-322 so I never did Hi Power runs again and I never qualified on the B767-222. 322 B737-322,-522 or later Boeings or A319 or A320's. Which I regret to this day

skyguy87
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks for your replies. Does every Delta base have a 2 year residency requirement before you can transfer? Or is it only ATL, JFK, LAX etc? Also, is it difficult to transfer into certain outstations? Thanks

Dalmd88

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:22 pm

skyguy87 wrote:
Thanks for your replies. Does every Delta base have a 2 year residency requirement before you can transfer? Or is it only ATL, JFK, LAX etc? Also, is it difficult to transfer into certain outstations? Thanks

The residency requirement varies by station. I don't think there is one at all for ATL. I think for ATL it is six months from new hire before you can bid on openings. Most departments in ATL have a one year residency policy, but many are pretty lax about it. The hard to fill stations like NYC, LAX, BOS, SFO are two. I've heard they tend to mostly interview those that are local now. There is less chance of those leaving after two years.