Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Block
Topic Author

How long until new aircraft used on oceanic flights.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:15 am

I noticed that United’s newest 787 is doing domestic turns for the next few days. The aircraft has the capability to do much more, but is there some testing or requirements before the aircraft can do a longer flight or one over water?

Cunard

Re: How long until new aircraft used on oceanic flights.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:54 am

The Boeing 787 entered service with United Airways in November 2012 and all initial testing, etc involves the manufacturer prior to any of their aircraft getting officially certified.

United along with every other airline will have all the data so there is no need for extra testing for all new individual aircraft entering the fleet.

United Boeing 787's on domestic runs are used to increase capacity or to route the aircraft to other hubs within the network, before entry into service with United along with other airlines the company would have initially put the aircraft on domestic runs for crew familiarisation not for testing regarding the aircraft doing a longer flight or over water.

I think that your looking into it to much its there's nothing special about it!

Your thread starter is written rather strangely in my opinion as it could have been worded better!

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:11 am

Cunard wrote:
The Boeing 787 entered service with United Airways in November 2012 and all initial testing, etc involves the manufacturer prior to any of their aircraft getting officially certified.

United along with every other airline will have all the data so there is no need for extra testing for all new individual aircraft entering the fleet.

United Boeing 787's on domestic runs are used to increase capacity or to route the aircraft to other hubs within the network, before entry into service with United along with other airlines the company would have initially put the aircraft on domestic runs for crew familiarisation not for testing regarding the aircraft doing a longer flight or over water.

I think that your looking into it to much its there's nothing special about it!

Your thread starter is written rather strangely in my opinion as it could have been worded better!

You are incorrect.

Part-121 and 135 operators must conduct ETOPS proving runs for each additional serial number added onto the certificate. Under Part 135 it is found under subpart C and the proving process from carrier to carrier can be different, as it is defined and approved in the Opsec.

Cunard

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:46 am

I stand corrected but as an example I'm not aware of British Airways doing this with there recent B787 deliveries, when they initially took delivery of the aircraft they did along with another example Air France but recent deliveries have more or less seen them enter normal operations not long after delivery from Boeing.

zkncj

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:53 am

The first 789 to be delivered ZK-NZE (NZ) made its entry to service on AKL-SYD which around 3hrs each-way, with 5-10minutes being overland at each end the rest of the journey was overwater. They did an couple of training trips in the week leading up to it without passengers. The rest of the 789s entered service and went directly onto operating the Tasman, the rotated into the long-haul network.

Ironically this 789 was one that has had the recent major engine failure - although it didn't happen until four years into its service life.

LAX772LR

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:08 am

Cunard wrote:
I stand corrected but as an example I'm not aware of British Airways doing this with there recent B787 deliveries

Probably because the preceding post references a US Federal regulation, which BA is not subject to... ;)

Mr AirNZ

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:46 pm

zkncj wrote:
The first 789 to be delivered ZK-NZE (NZ) made its entry to service on AKL-SYD which around 3hrs each-way, with 5-10minutes being overland at each end the rest of the journey was overwater. They did an couple of training trips in the week leading up to it without passengers. The rest of the 789s entered service and went directly onto operating the Tasman, the rotated into the long-haul network.

Ironically this 789 was one that has had the recent major engine failure - although it didn't happen until four years into its service life.

As an aside, neither of the engines hanging from the wings were originally delivered with the airframe (the engines having been swapped out/staggered for maintenance planning purposes).

Cunard

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:56 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Cunard wrote:
I stand corrected but as an example I'm not aware of British Airways doing this with there recent B787 deliveries

Probably because the preceding post references a US Federal regulation, which BA is not subject to... ;)

Thanks for the correction I appreciate it and I must admit that I overlooked that important fact :-)