Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JoKeR
Topic Author

New Flight Radar 24 app got very greedy!

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Like most of you, I spent a bit of cash to buy the FR24 app (for my iPhone) and spent additional bucks on a number of add-ons.

This morning, when I logged-in to see details of an approaching flight, I got a notification that a new FR24 app (not version) is now available, and it got me pretty excited as its been donkey's years since they threw out an upgrade or improvement...

But... they got very, very greedy!

To ''thank me'' for my loyalty, they're giving 3 month free access to the new version, after which I'd have to fork out mega bucks each month (subscription) to continue using the app, otherwise I'll be downgraded to the basic version - which now includes (for free) all the features I already paid for - but with horribly irritating ads all over!

Very, very unfair... must say, they really rattled my cage and ticked me off... feel very cheated.

CXfirst

Re: New Flight Radar 24 app got very greedy!

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:46 pm

To be fair. The new app has a lot more content than the one-off payment of the old app. And from what I remember, the cost of the old app is probably less than what 3 months of subscription is worth. Can't expect a company that has vastly improved their content to give it to you to free, while others need to buy a subscription? (And yes, I bought the app with add-ons, and then bought gold subscription)

-CXfirst

AirPacific747

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Well I just really dislike these subscription apps. It should have been a single flat fee to cover those costs of the additional features. I cancelled my subscription in the new app after two weeks for that reason. I don't like having to sign up for a subscription just to use all the features in the app.

JoKeR
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:44 pm

But hang on a second, we're all (subscribers) being "forced" to have the app infested with ads, even though we paid for the app in the first place, just because we chose not to endure their monthly subscription fees?

I don't have a problem with them offering fancy new stuff, hey go nuts, but don't downgrade my paid experience and treat me the same as someone who simply downloaded the app for free. No ads, period!

vinniewinnie

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:17 pm

Given the upgraded features, I'm quite happy to pay 39,99 euros for a year worth of data!

The old app will not be discontinued they say. So you can happily carry on using Flightradar24 as before.

You can't expect to get all that data for free on a one-off 10 euro payment im sorry! They have servers to maintain, transponders to send, pay for data etc.

VapourTrails

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:33 am

I've just purchased a Gold subscription, well, initially the offered free three-month trial.

I waited 24-hours before making a decision on whether to stay with the old one or use the new one, glad they are keeping the old one available.

Of course, once I started looking at all the new features I was like a kid in a candy shop. :knockout:

I am not a fan of ads on apps so even though I had paid enhancements with the old version, I don't mind paying here to get rid of them. UX.

Edit: I got confused with FlightAware here, that one I spent less cash on, still has the ads but don't use as much. :tired:

Generally I prefer one-off purchases not subs, it does get expensive over time, I am looking at you Apple Music. This is where they make their money - subs.

vinniewinnie wrote:
They have servers to maintain, transponders to send, pay for data etc.

Yes, you do have a valid point there.

Only thing is, I am trying, really trying to limit or cut back the time I spend online each day and this new app is not doing that any good. Sigh. :ziplip:

VapourTrails

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:17 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
Well I just really dislike these subscription apps. It should have been a single flat fee to cover those costs of the additional features. I cancelled my subscription in the new app after two weeks for that reason. I don't like having to sign up for a subscription just to use all the features in the app.

VapourTrails wrote:
I've just purchased a Gold subscription, well, initially the offered free three-month trial.

I ended up cancelling my trial after three weeks. I just didn't want to pay another sub - although I am thinking of trialing YouTube Red, so something's gotta give if I continue with that. :dollarsign:

As the old FR24 is still available this is sufficient for my needs. I did like the day night feature on the new one, I am not sure whether that was available on the old, it is not obvious.

I did then pay the one-off cost to rid the ads on FlightAware, as a result of not taking out the sub on FR24. As a on-off cost I was happy with that amount then.

:beady:

LAHockey

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:07 pm

I know exactly what your talking about. They basically took your money and said, "Whelp, we are re doing out system. Also we're going to take your money."

Copenhagen

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:14 am

Let me vent my frustration here.

First I paid on my iPhone to remove ads in the Flightradar24 iOS app. I then moved to an Android phone. Flightradar24 support refused to transfer my licence so I had to pay again! Now this company have renamed the app to leave paying customers behind without future upgrades. So for the third time they want money to remove ads that I already paid to remove! No longer a one-time-fee but monthly donations. Their support tries to get me to reinstall the old version that they renamed "Flightradar24 Pro" because they want to reuse the old name "Flightradar24" with the new app that requires you to pay a monthly fee to remove ads. Good to see that I am not the only unhappy customer?

Shame on you for not honoring your promises to existing customers. To introduce new features is fine, also a new paying structure. What i'm upset about is you confusing customers by reusing the app name and then asking us to reinstall an old version that we never paid for. Shame on you. At least you should let ud keep for paid upgrades in the new version that carries the old name.. Come on.

thaiflyer

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:37 pm

I'm also using the old version which is more then sufficient for me.
If they want to redesign it with more options is fine, that they want to ask more money for for the new options is also fine.
But the old members with the paid for options should be honored within the new design with the same options as we already have and paid for.
I'm refusing to pay again and gain on a monthly basis for the same options as i have now but only in a different layout.