Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DELTA711
Topic Author

Inherited a DSLR & Lens'... First Time Questions

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:45 am

Hi All,

A family member has just given me his old Canon EOS 1100D DSLR with two lens'... a 17-85mm IS USM Lens and a TAMRON AF 70-300mm Zoom Lens...

I have never had a DSLR before but have always expressed an interest in starting abit of photography as a hobby... and he said that the Canon EOS 1100D and lens' would offer a good beginners introduction to try abit of photography so have a go... If I like it I can keep it...

I have always been a keen spotter, obviously with Aviation being my biggest passion, so naturally I will be looking to spot now with the camera and try my hand on capturing some good aviation shots...

Guess the question is, firstly is the kit I have been given suitable?, and also any tips or good sources of beginner information?

I plan on having my first play with it this weekend once I have read the instructions and guess the best approach will be 'practice makes perfect'...

Thanks... :)

airkas1

Re: Inherited a DSLR & Lens'... First Time Questions

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:35 am

I'm not super familiar with either lens in terms of quality, but some tips to start off with:
- shoot with the sun in your back. even when it's cloudy
- don't shoot during mid day in summer, try to shoot when the light is good (so mornings/afternoons).
- be aware that when the subject is closer to the ground, heat haze is likely to play a role in photo quality. As such, I'd advise to start with photos of aircraft on the approach,
- make sure you're close enough to the subject so that you can more or less fill the frame. this way, you will have to crop less afterwards.
- reading the manual is a good start. Try to start out with 'safe' settings. I usually set my camera to Av mode and dial the aperture to F8.

Good luck and let's see some results when you have them?