Aeroplasma
Topic Author

Upgrade to D7200 or D610?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:14 am

My current camera is the Nikon D3300. Here is my lens set up:
AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens
TAMRON | SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD

I am a spotter at JFK/LGA/EWR. I find the 70-300mm to be adequate for most of the spots after checking that without the 1.5x crop factor, I still can fit the aircraft inside the frame. The 50mm also serves my purpose as well for close range. Furthermore, as I start to enter into more night photography, especially with panning techniques, something budges me further to go straight to the FX cameras. The noise from the D3300 at ISO 1600/3200 does annoy me sometimes. Outside of aviation, I do a mix of landscape, architecture, street photography, astronomy, and wildlife.

At the current budget, I'll have around $1100, enough for me to get a refurbished D610 or a D7200 which is currently on sale for $800. I plan on keeping the D3300 as backup. If I go with the D7200, I still have all three lens to use, while if I go with the D610, the 18-55mm effectively becomes partially useless as it is for DX format . I do find myself using the 18-55mm for some situations, especially for some wing view shots, cockpit shots, and if I am next to an aircraft (although I do not ride airplanes that often and I am not next to an aircraft that often...).

I could possibly go for a refurbished or an used D750 if my budget increases by a little.

Which should I go with to serve my needs?

yerbol
Screener

Re: Upgrade to D7200 or D610?

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Nikon D7200 got same Expeed 4 processor and same sensor just a little difference in software so basically gives same picture result therefore completely pointless to buy it.
I would go for new D610.